[pulseaudio-discuss] enable-lfe-remixing

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Sep 3 03:47:54 PDT 2014

Hi,

As you might know, I'm trying to make life a little bit easier for
laptops with a built-in subwoofer.

Part of that is to revisit our "enable-lfe-remixing" setting, which is
currently disabled by default.

This means that people playing back stereo material, will, by default,
complain that their speakers sound more tinny than on Windows.

1. I understand that there might be reasons we have it disabled by
default, but it would be good to have those reasons lined up. What are
those reasons really?

2. Should enable-lfe-remixing be a global setting? Or should it be
configured per port? Per profile?

3. Should it happen that I will end up having to write a low/hipass
filter for properly separating LFE from main speaker frequencies, what
are your recommendations? I don't think we have a module we can use, but
are there finished implementations in libraries that we can just try to
import into PA? Or do we need to start over from scratch? Has anybody (e
g Alexander) done any research on this topic?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic