[pulseaudio-discuss] Server specification strings: pulseaudio.1 or Wiki?

Glenn Golden gdg at zplane.com
Thu Sep 18 08:46:59 PDT 2014

Seems to be an inconsistency between the documented syntax for server
specification strings as discussed in pulseaudio.1 (V5.0) vs. the Wiki page:

    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/ServerStrings/

The latter appears to be a superset of the former, allowing specification of
local servers via the socket path. (And a few other bells/whistles).

I tried the /path/to/socket form with pactl, it seems to work, so I'm assuming
the Wiki format is currently what's implemented in the libs. Is this right,
or is there some funny business where the permitted syntax can be restricted
to only the man page form?  (Or something like this)...?

(Fwiw: I filed a bug report (#84204) on this inconsistency in the doc.)