[pulseaudio-discuss] How to use ALSA compress API in Pulseaudio with passthrough mode

Kiran Krishnappa kiraank at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 06:15:37 PDT 2014

>>Someone on IRC was writing up,
>>I think, but I don't know what state that got to.

Arun, below is the status of compressed sink:

I was facing some issues in reporting timing to PA client. The compress
library that I am using does provides an API to query playback time from
DSP.  Initially, I thought of adding a new API (for passthrough streams
only)to protocol-native to obtain correct timing from driver. Dropped that
idea,  decided to stuff the timing info in response to
"pa_stream_update_timing_info" info. It seems the timing reporting issue is
resolved now.

Now , I need to look into timing issue in case of seek operation.

Apart from this,
* there were couple of changes at gstreamer side (pulsesink) to avoid
packeting data into IEC frames
* Introduced new API's to tinycompress to get  device file descriptor which
inturn added to pa_rtpoll_run
* Not sure how to calculate sink latency in case variable bitrate

Regards,
Kiran