[pulseaudio-discuss] write callback stops getting called

Andrew Kelley superjoe30 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 20:06:55 PDT 2015

I have a program which plays an audio file with some filtering using the
PulseAudio asynchronous API. When the CPU usage spikes elsewhere in my
computer, for example if I do `make -j` to use up all processing power, the
filter code runs a little slow and might cause a buffer underrun. Sometimes
this causes PulseAudio to stop calling the write callback. I checked and I
am certainly calling `begin_write` and `write` for each time that the write
callback is called.

How can I ensure that PulseAudio continues to call the write callback?