[pulseaudio-discuss] ThinkPad T-510 audio output mute LED non-workingness

Glenn Golden gdg at zplane.com
Mon Apr 13 13:50:52 PDT 2015

Follow-on question for David H:

I'm in the process of preparing a detailed writeup on this issue for Raymond
over on the kernel bugtracker (ticket #96171).  There are a lot of moving
parts to it, and I want to make sure the details are stated correctly there
to avoid unintentionally sending Raymond on a wild goose chase.

So I want to ask your indulgence in clarifying one small point on something
you mentioned earlier, to make certain that I have a clear understanding:

    "[T]he mute LED reflects the state of the Master Playback Switch.
     Any discrepancy of the above would be a kernel bug."

The attached screenshot shows how I experimented with this, and what was
observed:  Regardless of which output Port (speaker or headphone) is selected
on pavucontrol, the ALSA Master Playback mute state indicator ("MM" or "OO")
follows the mute state shown on pavucontrol: When the pavucontrol mute icon is
toggled, the "MM/OO" mute indicator on the ALSA Master Playback also toggles
accordingly.  However, the mute LED always remains off. (And all of the above
also holds if "pactl set-sink-mute 0 toggle" is substituted for clicking the
pavucontrol mute icon.)

So the question is: Is the state of "Master Playback Switch" that you referred
to in your response above indeed represented by the "MM/OO" display on the
ALSA Master Playback slider, as I've assumed?  If so, then it seems like this
is clear-cut evidence that the mute LED is not behaving as expected.

Thanks!