[pulseaudio-discuss] stumped on Slackware 14.1

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Apr 17 12:18:44 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 08:19:42PM +0200, Georg Chini wrote:
> On 17.04.2015 17:00, Borries Demeler wrote:
> >I am unable to get pulseaudio to work on my Slackware 14.1 system.
> >It used to work and then for some unknown reason it started to fail.
> >I needed pulseaudio to get Skype to work, which requires it. I also
> >had to build a 32-bit binary distro to support Skype, but now I am
> >at a loss on how to re-activate it and I am clueless as to what broke
> >the working install. At the core, the problem seems to be related to
> >pulseaudio's failure to load some alsa modules. Any help would be
> >greatly appreciated! /etc/pulse contents are attached.
> >I already tried to remove my ~/.config/pulse directory and recreate it,
> >to no avail.
> >
> >Thanks!!!
> >

> Two things:
> 1) dbus does not seem to be accessible.
> 2) pulseaudio does not find the file extra-hdmi.conf (it is no longer
> needed for pulseaudio 6.0 but I think for 5.0 you need it)
>
> I'm not the expert, so not sure if one of the issues above
> is responsible for your problem.
>
> Regards
>              Georg

Thanks for replying, Georg.
What should I look for regarding dbus? It looks like it is running:

ps ax | grep dbus
  966 ?        Ss     0:03 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
 1297 ?        S      0:00 dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
 1298 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

Where do I get an example file for the extra-hdmi.conf? I am not sure how
to set this up.

Thanks for any additional help.

-Borries