[pulseaudio-discuss] ThinkPad T-510 audio output mute LED non-workingness

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 20:10:32 PDT 2015

> > You have not posted alsa-info of working 3.18
> >

> Here are alsa-info.sh reports for both kernels:
>
>     http://misc.postpro.net/t510led/alsa_info_3.18.6.txt
>     http://misc.postpro.net/t510led/alsa_info_3.19.3_soft0.txt
>     http://misc.postpro.net/t510led/alsa_info_3.19.3_soft1.txt
>
> The difference between the 3.19 "soft0" and "soft1" versions is that
"soft0"
> version was booted with the kernel commandline parameter
>
>         thinkpad_acpi.software_mute=0
>
> This just reverts the muting behavior back to 3.18 (which is my
preference).
> The "soft1" version does not supply this parameter, so you get the default
> 3.19 behavior (i.e., software muting enabled, HW muting disabled.)
>

> > Refer to alsa-info found in t510 speaker powersave regression
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/12/22/113
> >

> Superficially, to my eyes anyway, it doesn't seem related to this issue.
> Do you think it might be?  If so, please be more explicit, I don't see
> the connection.
>

> > Simple mixer control 'Console',0
> >   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
> >   Playback channels: Mono
>    Mono: Playback [on]
> >
> > Do this console playback switch has any effect on your schematic view ?
> >

> It's a read-only card, so it has no "effect", but its state does reflect
> the HW mute state. See further below for details.
>

> > AFAIK, pulseaudio ignore card  29 "ThinkPadEC"
> >

> Yes, that seems to be right. But it can be seen via amixer -c29: Here's
the
> observed behavior under 3.18, using the terminology from the kernel bug
> report:
>
>   0.  Toggle MUTEKEY until MUTELED = off.
>   1.  Start audio source, verify SPK_SOUND = on
>   2.  'amixer -c29 get Console' reports "Mono: Playback [on]"
>   3.  Toggle MUTEKEY, verify MUTELED = on, SPK_SOUND = off
>   4.  'amixer -c29 get Console' reports "Mono: Playback [off]"
>
> That's all I see.

Refer to

http://www.spinics.net/lists/ibm-acpi-devel/msg03404.html

Starting with 3.19, the default behavior is to ask the embedded
controller to disable all the magic.  The kernel will keep the mute
LED in sync with the software control, the hardware switch is disabled
entirely, and the mute button is just a button.

This mean the function of mute key is disabled by default

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/platform/x86/thinkpad_acpi.c?id=9a417ec0c9d1f7af5394333411fc4d98adb8761b

Speaker still follow pin sense of hp and dock hp of hda codec when auto
mute mode is enabled

Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'

You need to find out how to listen mute key event