[pulseaudio-discuss] Playback - Overwrite buffer with silence

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:57:33 PDT 2015

>> Pulseaudio is a sound server which mix several playback streams, silence
size may has no effect since the alsa sink may use different period
size/buffer size or disable period wakeup when using timer scheduling

> Then, How I can avoid under-run? I mean, If I attempt to write data in a
buffer and the under-run occurs, It takes a long time to recover the pcm
and the data must be lost. ¿how I can put silence in buffer instead of lost
data?

Did your program work when using alsa hw device instead of pulse plugin ?

Did you get back the period size after snd_pcm_hw_params()?

You need to keep at least one period of data in alsa buffer at any time if
the sound card just increment hwptr by one period when interrupt occur

It look like bug in your decode and write loop since alsa-pulse plugin
won't report underrun by default

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-plugins.git;a=commit;h=c20d516e229620129ee20175d8fee8511cc3a4bd

Do you mean your input source always provide data less than the specified
rate ?

> I have set the snd_pcm_sw_params_set_stop_threshold() to the boundary
value also, but the under-run occurs