[pulseaudio-discuss] Equalizer for microphone input?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 04:18:17 PDT 2015

01.08.2015 16:00, Philipp Lorenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to reduce the bass that my microphone produces in
> voice chat programs like Skype or TeamSpeak. People are complaining that
> there is too much bass in my voice, but I can't find a way to reduce it
> - there's no option in pavucontrol or alsamixer for my soundcard and
> equalizers like qpaeq or pulseaudio-equalizer don't seem to work for
> microphone input.

Most likely they are wrong in their description of the problem. What
people perceive as "too much bass" might be a slight form of clipping.

Please try loading module-echo-cancel and moving VoIP apps there
(including their playback streams, otherwise it won't work). Contrary to
the name, it not only cancels acoustic echo, but also filters out noise
and sets the correct gain.

If you sit too close (less than 1m) to a wall, or a microphone is
positioned too close to a wall, then reflection (or, more precisely, its
interference with the direct sound) may also be a reason for excessive
bass. Please move away from the wall.

You can also send a short sample of your voice, followed by at least two
seconds of silence (i.e. room noise), privately to me for further
debugging. In the worst case, there is always module-jack-source,
jack-rack and various jack-based equalizers.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov