[pulseaudio-discuss] Virtual sink to pipe audio stream to STDIN of shell-command?

Rene Bartsch ml at bartschnet.de
Mon Aug 3 02:42:59 PDT 2015

Am 2015-08-02 14:06, schrieb Rene Bartsch:
> Am 2015-08-02 11:58, schrieb Alexander E. Patrakov:
> My current workflow is
> Pulseaudio -> module_pipe_sink -> FIFO -> external sudo BruteFIR call
> -> ALSA.
> When I put source- and sink-mixing into one BruteFIR-instance
> (both in the same BruteFir-config-file), BruteFIR
> often quits with "ALSA I/O: overflow!" and "ALSA I/O: underflow!".
> Separate instances block each other on the ALSA device. Pluggable
> USB-audio-devices increase complexity, too.

I'm going to try the workflow

Pulseaudio -> module_pipe_sink -> FIFO -> external sudo BruteFIR call ->
FIFO -> module_pipe_source -> Pulseaudio

to run BruteFIR asynchronously which leads to the following questions
about Pulseaudio:

1. Is there any way to hide the hardware device/sink from applications
but use it internally?
2. How can I route the audio-stream from the virtual module_pipe_source
to the hardware device without any remixing or conversion and exclusive
access?
3. Is there any hook in Pulseaudio to start an external shell-command
with Pulseaudio?

--
Best regards,

Renne