[pulseaudio-discuss] bluetooth headset and ofono backend

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Mon Feb 2 03:51:51 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 16:26 +0100, Georg Chini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am still fighting to get my bluetooth headset working properly
> with the ofono backend. I cannot get HFP to work with pulse.
>
> When I run ofonod and phonesim and switch on my headset
> it seems to connect fine. A card turns up in pulseaudio but the
> HFP profile is not available there. Trying to switch to the profile
> leads to "not connected" messages in the log.
> In phonesim I can simulate a call. If I do so, I get a ring in the
> headset and can pick up the call. I am not sure if there is any
> audio, I hear silence. If I am playing back with the a2dp_sink
> profile at the same time, the a2dp audio is muted (but continues
> playing).
>
> Looking at the code I wonder if the HFP profile of a headset can
> ever get available. The ofono backend listens for "CardAdded" or
> "CardRemoved" DBUS-messages, but it seems that the "CardAdded"
> signal is never emitted by ofono when a headset connects.
> There is only a call to the associated function when a phone
> connects and nowhere else in the code.
> Or is there another way pulse is notified that the profile is available?
> Did someone get it working and can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Last time I tried I think I had a similar problem (the CardAdded signal
was never sent). On the BlueZ mailing list I was instructed to disable
SELinux. I did that, but then I got distracted by something else, and I
never continued my efforts of getting PulseAudio to work with oFono on
my machine.

If you're using SELinux, and you're compiling some of the stack
(PulseAudio, oFono, BlueZ) yourself, SELinux might be your problem. Try
disabling it. (I don't remember the exact command to do that, but
hopefully your favorite search engine will help you with that.)