[pulseaudio-discuss] bluetooth headset audio not supported by ofono

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Mon Feb 9 01:24:38 PST 2015

On 09.02.2015 10:16, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On 9 February 2015 at 14:29, Georg Chini <georg at chini.tk> wrote:
>> On 09.02.2015 09:28, Arun Raghavan wrote:

>>> The reason I was against a "both" mode is that it seems odd to me from
>>> a system integration perspective. The current situation seems to be
>>> either you have oFono as a part of your system and you're using it for
>>> modem management, some amount of BT audio management, and so forth.
>>> Else, you're using PulseAudio for the BT audio management (the stuff
>>> that BlueZ used to do but dropped in 5.x).
>>
>> That is not really correct. Even if you use ofono, you still need pulseaudio
>> for the BT audio, otherwise it just won't work. ofono will only manage
>> the connection for you.
> I think you might've misunderstood me. With oFono, you need PulseAudio
> for Bluetooth audio. As I wrote below, I don't think it makes sense
> that we mandate the opposite dependency. That is to say, it does not
> make sense to make oFono a dependency of PulseAudio for the use-cases
> that we supported with BlueZ 4.0.
>
>>> It seems odd to me to have a "both" mode -- I'd like to add back the
>>> features we supported before the BlueZ 5.x migration caused us to
>>> regress. Once Wim's HSP work is out, that basically leaves the HF role
>>> (PA on your acting as a headset). If I understand correctly, that will
>>> overlap with oFono (if oFono wasn't bringing a telephony stack along
>>> with it, I wouldn't be objecting to just using it as our external dep
>>> that provides these features)..
>>
>> But that is the point of the HF role. If pulseaudio was going to support
>> the HF role, it would also need to implement an (external) handler for
>> RFCOMM. So you would need to duplicate the ofono functionality in
>> some way or do the integration the other way round.
> If you mean that we need to do AT command handling, we now already do
> a bit of that in PA (we couldn't really agree upon any other place for
> that once BlueZ dropped it). Is there much we need to support other
> than volume commands?
>
> Assuming it's not too much more complex than the HSP support, we
> should be able to manage that just fine by extending the native
> backend.

For audio you probably won't need much more. But if you do not
support the telephony functions, you are in the same situation as
ofono is with the AG role. Here ofono supports the AT commands,
but no audio, and what use is a headset without audio?
And if you support audio for a phone but not the telephony functions,
what is phone audio good for where you can't make or receive a call?