[pulseaudio-discuss] External microphone noise reduction

Christian Kreibich christian at whoop.org
Mon Feb 9 15:37:25 PST 2015

Hi all,

I'm using a pair of Sennheiser CX 275 S earbuds. They have a built-in
microphone that sounds great when using my phone and tablets, but on my
Fedora 21 laptop suffers from so much static that I basically can't use
them for calls. Therefore I'm trying to understand whether I can
convince PulseAudio to better filter out the static. Could somebody
please describe my options?

I've found scattered mentioning of the module-echo-cancel module on the
web but can't seem to add it to my config without triggering the
"between a sink and its monitor" error. I'm not even sure whether an
echo cancellation module is the right choice for noise reduction, but
some sources suggested it.

So, please advise...

Thanks,
-C.