[pulseaudio-discuss] Cracky sound on some applications (underrun occurred)

nake nake at nakerium.com
Wed Feb 11 07:22:54 PST 2015

Hello list.

First, I'm not quite sure if this is the place to ask, so if it weren't
I'd kindly appreciate if you could point me were to ask.
I've been searching for a way to fix this for a long time and I didn't
find anything.

My problem is that some applications (wine, and some random games) do
not work correctly with pulseaudio and I'm not quite sure what's causing
it.
When I play those games/applications the sound is extremely cracky,
faster than it should and full of static noise in the background.
There was another guy that had the same problem and posted a
demonstration of the issue in youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60N87SNpqNI

This only happens with some applications, and I think it's caused by a
buffer underrun (wine spams that in the console).
Some of the games are run over wine, others use SDL, and others use
Unity3D so I don't think it's a problem of the programs themselves but a
problem in my configuration or something, but I don' know how to fix it.
Also, it might be worth noting that some Unity3D games start with the
cracky audio but after a minute or so automagically fix themselves. And
while the game is cracking, other audio sources (Amarok for example)
also sound terribly, but as soon as the game starts playing the audio
correctly, amarok plays the music perfectly again.

I tried lot's of different configurations, buffer sizes and period sizes
without any luck, I also tried using the envvar SDL_AUDIODRIVER for the
SDL ones without luck (set to pulse or alsa, it didn't matter, the sound
was a bit different but still cracky).

If this helps I'm on debian jessie (testing) x86_64.
My /etc/pulse/default.pa is http://pastebin.com/des2Fg1k
and my ~/.asoundrc is http://pastebin.com/s43Rg4nq
I have 4 audio devices, but I only use 2 of them, and of course I'd like
pulseaudio to use dmix so that I can have different audio sources to the
same sink at the same time.

Any ideas or pointers on how to fix this? I've been messing with my
audio for a long time and I'm running out of ideas so I'd really
appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
Alfonso Arbona Gimeno