[pulseaudio-discuss] PA- Performance issue with PA read and CPU consumption in idle state

Radhakrishnan, Manjula (M.) rmanjula at visteon.com
Thu Feb 12 06:03:49 PST 2015

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply.

The platform is based on ARM Cortex A9 core.

Regarding the Issue 1  reported :

On analyzing the pa_simple_read , the following observations are seen.

The delay is casued by pa_stream_peek not retuned read length , not clear on why this could fail since pa write has started.

In pa_stream_peek , read length is returned as null , hence blocked at "pa_threaded_mainloop_wait".
It comes out of " pa_threaded_mainloop_wait" , and again fails at pa_stream_peek.
This looping happens between 5- 8 times then it returns successfully from pa_simple_read.

We ran another test code to eliminate the influence of CPU or other application ,   The test script is as follows :

1.  paplay -droute_test /home/test441.wav          /*  route_test is a null sink , play audio to this null sink  */
2. sleep 1            /* sleep for 1 sec before read */
3. ./test_code.sh    /*  test code to read data from the null sink  , added time stamp to measure the duration inside pa_simpe_read */

With the above script ,  the measured time inside first pa_simpe_read is 1.8 sec

The issue is not seen if paplay is immediately followed by PA read , i.e

1.  paplay -droute_test /home/test441.wav      /* route_test is a null sink  */
2. ./test_code.sh    /*  test code to read data from the null sink  , added time stamp to measure the duration inside pa_simpe_read */

With this test , the measured time inside pa_simpe_read is few micro seconds and  there is no block inside pa_simpe_read.

when the test script was executed , no other major CPU consumption in the core.

We are trying to understand the impact of starting the pa write earlier than pa read and the cause of this delay.

The pa write instance is in an external application and operates independently and the instance cannot be synchronised with pa read start.

2.  On Issue 2 ,

 The input and output both are at 44.1 Khz and no resampling of audio involved.  CPU is seen when there is no write/read hapenning.

Is there any specific PA compile time options to be set for optimized CPU ? please let know .

It is ARM cortex A9 at 800 MHz

Thanks & Regards

Manjula R

Message: 4