[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume control, force per-application

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:38:31 PST 2015

I'm running PA on Fedora 21. I have turned off flat volumes.

Some applications such as Skype, Google Hangouts, Zoiper, and others,
auto-adjust the mic volume. All of these programs seem to modify the
source device volume rather than adjusting their own application volumes.

If even one application can't be configured to turn mic auto-adjust
off (such as Google Hangouts), it messes up everything -- since that
one application ends up modifying the mic volume for every other
application.

Is there a way to configure PA to limit or force applications to
adjust only their own per-application volume? Ideally, the master
volume should be inaccessible to apps and controlled only explicitly
by me, through a "privileged" application like PA volume control or kmix.

Thanks for your advice!

Regards,
Raman