[pulseaudio-discuss] module-remap-sink not working for surround card

Martin Klein martin.klein.de at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:37:22 PST 2015

> On Sun, 2015-01-18 at 13:54 +0100, Martin Klein wrote:
>> Okay, this works as expected, i.e. I hear the noise on the intended
>> speaker. Thank you for suggesting this test. Now to summarize: In
>> principle surround seems to work with both Alsa and Pulse (i.e. I can
>> output sound on only the intended speaker). However, both volume
>> controls and module-remap-sink does not work for the surround channels
>> with pulseaudio. Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>
> If we still ignore the volume control problem, the next step is to
> investigate what goes wrong with module-remap-sink. You said it doesn't
> give any output. Check the volume and mute state of the remap sink and
> the sink input between the remap sink and the master sink. If those are
> ok, check that the mixing matrix looks ok (the matrix is shown in the
> debug log of the server when you load module-remap-sink).

Checking the volume and mute state of the remap sink was the first
thing I checked. The channel is unmuted, I toggled the mute state and
increased the volume to the max. All to no avail. Thank you for your
suggestion regarding the channel matrix. Unfortunately I couldn't find
any documentation on how to interpret the channel matrix. I think I
found the two matrices corresponding to my to remap sinks:
http://pastebin.com/CuDjDaM4
I have no idea on how to interpret this. I'm a little bit confused by
the separator line for in the first matrix. Also, the asymmetry of the
second matrix looks weird to me (there is an empty row between the 1
of the second columns.

Thank you for your help!
Martin