[pulseaudio-discuss] Strange hardware: XFX nForce 780i SLI MCP

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:55:38 PDT 2015

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_nforce_780i_sli_us.html ,
http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/132-CK-NF78.pdf

> As you see on page 18 of the manual, this board has no HDMI output, but
there is an optical SPDIF. Strangely enough, this SPDIF is his
"hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0" device.

> Given the recent discussions related to dynamically creating PCM devices
for HDMI, I think you will be interested in this alsa-info output.

> Is there anything here that would need special treatment by ALSA or
PulseAudio? Or, is this just a misnumbered/misnamed codec?

Check whether BIOS set the internal spdif as HDMI as pin default

The alsa driver prefer HDMI  instead of SPDIF when there are two Digital
Outs