[pulseaudio-discuss] playback from loopback over network fades, dies every few minutes and then comes back

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Wed Jun 17 22:58:05 PDT 2015

On 18.06.2015 06:22, Nick wrote:
> Georg:
>
> I added adjust_time=0 to the loopback config line and saw a marked
> improvement. The audio was smooth with no fadeouts for a good half hour.
> I switched it back to just ensure it was isolated to this and indeed the
> fadeouts started after a few minutes again. Excellent.
>
> After a very long time, however, the audio with adjust_time=0 did stop
> completely with these messages:
>
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: D: [pulseaudio] memblock.c: Pool full
> Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-bcm2835 ALSA] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-bcm2835 ALSA] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-source-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [pulseaudio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-source-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> I: [pulseaudio] module-stream-restore.c: Synced.
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] ratelimit.c: 1763 events suppressed
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-USB Audio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [pulseaudio] memblock.c: Pool full
> D: [alsa-sink-bcm2835 ALSA] memblock.c: Pool full
>
> I have not yet tried the module-tunnel-sink-new but will give it a shot
> to see if it gets around this.
>
> Many thanks for the advice. If you have further suggestions considering
> these new Pool full messages, I'd be interested. Otherwise I'll try your
> other suggestions and get back to the list.
>
> Best,
> -Nick

Hi Nick,

this looks like the tunnel sink has a problem with the dynamic
changes of the sample rate done by module-loopback. On the
other hand those changes seem to be necessary because you
run into issues as well when you disable them. I believe that the
"pool full" messages indicate that the data is delivered faster
than the playback consumes it.

Can you use a tunnel source on your laptop instead of a
tunnel sink on the Raspberry Pi and run the loopback on your
laptop? This will probably work because the source rate is
constant. It does not solve the problem but might be an
acceptable workaround.

Regards
              Georg