[pulseaudio-discuss] Assertion failure pa_frame_aligned(nbytes, &i->sink->sample_spec)

Brendon Costa brendon.j.costa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:04:55 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I am developing a pulse audio sink module for a custom networked audio
device I have.

This device only supports a very specific format: 3 channel PA_SAMPLE_S16NE
@ 32000Hz and uses a custom TCP protocol.

I am using the esound-sink module as a basis to develop my one and have
setup my pa_sample_spec accordingly. The module starts up, pushing silence
through to the device fine.

However when I try and connect a music player source to it I get the
following assertion:

sink-input.c: Assertion 'pa_frame_aligned(nbytes, &i->sink->sample_spec)'
failed at pulsecore/sink-input.c:1168, function
pa_sink_input_update_max_request(). Aborting.

I couldn't make much sense of this assertion. Is someone able to help me
out with its meaning/cause?

My original guess is that it is related to this specific sample spec not
matching the music players source spec (though weird that such an error
would be an assertion so I am probably wrong).

Is pulse audio supposed to auto "match" sample specs between sinks and
sources?

If not, can you point me in the direction of some code that I could use as
a reference to do this in my module?

I am using a manually built pulseaudio-4.0 fresh from GIT which I am doing
my dev against.

Thanks,
Brendon.