[pulseaudio-discuss] R: Re: R: Re: Many differences between pulseaudio built from source and installed from package

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Tue May 12 08:51:16 PDT 2015

[added pulseaudio-discuss back to CC]

On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 12:12 +0200, Erotavlas_turbo at libero.it wrote:
> Hi Tanu,
>
> >> ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --disable-
> >> bluez4 --disable-rpath --with-module-dir=/usr/lib/pulse/modules
> >
> >Where did you get this command line? It's exactly the same as what
> >another person recently reported using. I presume the command line is
> >from some kind of a howto document. The arguments are mostly nonsense,
> >so if you can tell the author of the howto to fix the arguments, that
> >would be very helpful.
>
> I found the command line here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?
> f=29&t=87138 the official forum for Raspberry Pi.

Could you ask the guide author to edit the guide (if the forum software
supports that). I'll comment here each of those configure arguments:

--prefix=/usr - Telling people to use /usr as the prefix is terrible
advice. The package manager should control the files under /usr, users
should never modify those files. Using /usr as the prefix overwrites the
package manager's version of the files, and when updating packages later
in the package manager, the package manager will overwrite the files
that you installed from source. Keep the different versions separate by
using the default prefix (/usr/local).

--sysconfdir=/etc - This is a good idea, because if you use the default
sysconfdir (/usr/local/etc), you may forget that and get confused when
you try to edit files under /etc and that doesn't have any effect.

--localstatedir=/var - Using non-default localstatedir doesn't have any
benefits that I'm aware of. That said, bootstrap.sh uses
--localstatedir=/var too, so there might be some benefit that I'm not
aware of (I have used both /var and /usr/local/var, and I don't recall
problems in either case).

--disable-bluez4 - If you know you don't need BlueZ 4 support, then this
is ok. Things will work without this too, though (the appropriate BlueZ
version gets detected at runtime).

--disable-rpath - This seems utterly pointless, and potentially harmful.

--with-module-dir=/usr/lib/pulse/modules - This is pointless too.

> >> The results is that pulseaudio 5.0 has 23 modules while pulseaudio 6.0 has
> >> only 13 modules. Why?
> >
> >I don't know. In your original mail you said that PA 6.0 installed
> >module-bluetooth-discover, but not module-bluetooth-policy. How are you
> >checking what gets installed? There should be no situation where
> >module-bluetooth-discover gets installed, but not
> >module-bluetooth-policy, so your installation seems to be broken
> >somehow.
>
> I check which module are loaded with
> pactl list modules
> If I have the same system Raspberry Pi with the same OS, but different
> pulseaudio 5.0 and 6.0, I would expect to find the same modules loaded. Why
> should not pulseaudio load the same modules?

If the configuration files are the same, I wouldn't expect any
differences. Maybe you checked the loaded modules with 5.0 in user mode
(configuration file default.pa) and with 6.0 in system mode
(configuration file system.pa)?