[pulseaudio-discuss] Help needed configuring Bluetooth speaker with system mode

Northern Lights Info info at northernlights3d.com
Fri May 29 11:45:44 PDT 2015

I¹ve just wasted several days tearing out what¹s left of my hair trying to
figure this out so if some expert out there would help, I¹d appreciate it.

Here¹s the setup:
A Yocto Dizzy single-board computer with Bluez 5.3 and PulseAudio 6.0
installed.
Note that this will be a headless embedded setup so I MUST use Pulse Audio¹s
system mode.
I¹ve also got a Samsung Level Box speaker.

If I launch PulseAudio as follows using the stock .pa files
pulseaudio --system -vvvv --log-target=newfile:/tmp/pulseverbose.log ­D

The daemon runs.  Then I launch bluetoothctl, search for, pair and trust the
speaker.  That works fine.
When I try to connect, it fails with the following error message:

[bluetooth]# connect A0:B4:A5:1E:9D:E6
Attempting to connect to A0:B4:A5:1E:9D:E6
Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed

I then do systemctl -l status bluetooth and I see the following error:

May 29 10:14:29 ts-imx6-s bluetoothd[369]: a2dp-sink profile connect failed
for A0:B4:A5:1E:9D:E6: Protocol not available
May 29 10:14:29 ts-imx6-s bluetoothd[369]: bluetoothd[369]: a2dp-sink
profile connect failed for A0:B4:A5:1E:9D:E6: Protocol not available

So, that might suggest that some module isn¹t loading which a google search
led me to this link:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth_headset#Pairing_works.2C_but_
connecting_does_not

In there, they say that you ned to make sure that module-bluez5-device is
loaded.  I checked the pulsevebose.log file and I didn¹t see it anywhere in
there.
Okay, so I then looked at the .pa files (all of them) and I don¹t see this
being loaded.
So I edited the .pa files and added a line to load module-bluez5-device.
Then I try to run pulseaudio again as before.  This time, the daemon fails
to launch because the path argument for module-bluez5-device isn¹t set.
But I have no idea what to set it to.  I tried path=/org/bluez/hci0 without
and then with that directory existing but to no avail.  I keep getting the
following error in the log:

D: [pulseaudio] module.c: Checking for existence of
'/usr/lib/pulse-6.0/modules/module-bluez5-device.so': success
E: [pulseaudio] module-bluez5-device.c: /org/bluez/hci0 is unknown
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-bluez5-device"
(argument: "path=/org/bluez/hci0"): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

What am I doing wrong?  What am I missing?  Google is little help on this
because few references talk about system mode.