[pulseaudio-discuss] Help needed configuring Bluetooth speaker with system mode

Northern Lights Info info at northernlights3d.com
Fri May 29 15:47:14 PDT 2015

Thanks for the response.  If it¹s a kernel module issue, which module is
needed?  I haven¹t seen any reference to kernel modules on this subject.

> Do you have the required kernel modules installed? "Protocol not available"
> sounds like
>  a kernel message. Modules can be found under networking in the kernel
> configuration.

Okay, I suppose this makes sense

>  You don't need to load module-bluez5-device directly.
> module-bluetooth-discover is the only
>  module you need to load. module-bluetooth-discover loads then
> module-bluez4-discover or
>  module-bluez5-discover depending on your bluez version and that module
> automatically loads
>  module-bluez4-device or module-bluez5-device as soon as a bluetooth device
> turns up.

As to your follow-up of whether or not things work when not logged in as
root, well, I can¹t tell because if I create a user and log into it, while
PulseAudio launches fine, when I try to run bluetoothctl, I get its prompt
but then it¹s dead in the water and doesn¹t respond to me typing.  Before I
learned of the system mode option, I tried pulseaudio ‹start ­D when logged
in as root.  If I quickly run the bluetoothctl command sequence, I can
connect to the speaker and then do pacmd list-sinks and see it.  I just
doesn¹t do the same thing in system mode. I get that error.  I did try
copying my default.pa to system.pa but that didn¹t help.