[pulseaudio-discuss] Capture volume

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun May 31 06:01:05 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-05-30 at 17:48 +0200, Klaus Vink Slott wrote:
> Hi
>
> Who/where is sensitivity settings for the microphone kept?
>
> I try to use SFLPhone on a OpenSUSE KDE installation. SFLphone
> recognizes pulse and most seems to work. However when I receive or make
> a call, I always first have to locate KDEmix, find SFLphones capture
> devices and turn up the sensitivity. The sensitivity does not seem to be
> saved between calls.
>
> Is it the programs (SFLPhone) responsibility to save the setting or
> might it be some other program which it affects the setting as soon as
> SFLPhone terminates the call and removes the capture device.

About terminology: SFLPhone doesn't create or remove any capture
devices. The microphone device is always there. SFLPhone creates a
stream that gets connected to the microphone. Both the microphone device
and the SFLPhone stream have their own volumes. It's not clear from your
description which volume is not getting saved.

PulseAudio will save both the device and the stream volume. If that
doesn't seem to be happening, some other program is messing with the
volume. Perhaps SFLPhone resets the volume every time it starts
(applications sometimes like to do that, even though they really
shouldn't).