[pulseaudio-discuss] [BUG?] I get a profile with 2 outputs, but if I mute headphone it mutes both ports

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Nov 1 04:41:03 PST 2015

On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 17:37 +0100, GMAIL wrote:

> Le 31/10/2015 12:19, Tanu Kaskinen a écrit :
>
> > I suspect that the "Front" volume and mute elements can be used to
> > control the line out without affecting the headphones. The problem is
> > that PulseAudio's alsa configuration assumes that the "Front" element
> > affects both line out and headphones (there's a comment saying that "on
> > some machines Front is actually a part of the Headphone path").
> >
> > /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf
> > contains this:
> >
> >      [Element Front]
> >      switch = mute
> >      volume = zero
> >
> > If you change that to
> >
> >      [Element Front]
> >      switch = off
> >      volume = off
> >
> > does that fix the problem for you?
> >

> Indeed this fixes my problem, thanks!
>
> I'm a bit confused by the comment in the .conf file though. So, despite
> PA detecting the rear line out port exactly as it states, this "Element
> Front" is actually part of the headphones "paths"? that is rear line out
> is considered as part of "Element Front"?

I'm not sure what you mean with your last question. The rear line out
isn't a "part" of the "Front" mixer element, it's the other way around.
You have two paths, headphones and line out. PulseAudio considers the
"Front" mixer element to be part of both paths, even though on your
machine it's only a part of the line out path.

I'm not sure if we can fix this upstream. To me it would seem logical
for the kernel to promise that "Front" only refers to line out, and if
on some machine it also affects the headphone path, then that should be
considered a kernel bug, and the kernel should rename the element.
David, what do you think?