[pulseaudio-discuss] [BUG?] I get a profile with 2 outputs, but if I mute headphone it mutes both ports

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Nov 11 04:14:06 PST 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-10 at 21:33 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2015-11-10 20:26, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> > > Yes.

> > > I'm not sure I understand what "the mute control" refers to, but in this
> > > case the mute control for the front line out jack is called "Front" (or
> > > "Front Playback Switch" being the full name).
> >
> > I meant the general case, where the kernel knows how to automute line
> > out. You said that you haven't seen "Line Out Front" anywhere. Why is
> > that, if the kernel knows how to mute line out?
>
> The kernel is fully aware that the jack is a line out jack (as you can
> see on the jack kcontrol). It's just that the algorithm for naming
> volume/mute kcontrols is not trivial; on one hand, you want as short
> name as possible (max 44 characters, minus ' Playback Switch'), but
> still unique and descriptive, taking location, channel map and device
> into account. Then add that a volume/mute might control more than one,
> but not all, of the outputs...some use cases are not handled optimally.

"Line Out Front Playback Volume" doesn't exceed the 44 character limit,
so I guess this falls in the category of "some use cases are not
handled optimally". Would you be interested in fixing this? As it
stands, the userspace can't freely choose between headphone and line
out, which is an unnecessary limitation.