[pulseaudio-discuss] [Vala] Issues will vala and pulse vapi

Evan Nemerson evan at coeus-group.com
Sat Nov 21 22:49:16 PST 2015

On Sat, 2015-11-21 at 23:37 -0600, Aaron Paden wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 11:07 PM, Evan Nemerson <evan at coeus-group.com
> > wrote:
> > On Sat, 2015-11-21 at 22:45 -0600, Aaron Paden wrote:
> > > On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Evan Nemerson <evan at coeus-group.
> > > com>

> > > Hum. Sourceinfo (and SinkInfo) should not be freed at all, the C
> > > APIs
> > > that retrieve them give you const pointers.
> >
> > Then they should return an unowned reference.
>
> Is it possible to do this when the pointer is an argument? These
> types
> are requested and then asynchronously retrieved via callbacks.

Arguments are unowned by default.  Just don't copy it into an owned
variable and you should be fine.

Looking at your original example, it looks like you create a
Gee.ArrayList<PulseAudio.SourceInfo?>.  Try Gee.ArrayList<unowned
PulseAudio.SourceInfo?>.

That said, I have no idea if you can count on the SourceInfo instances
surviving past the end of the callback invocation.  If it doesn't you
probably need to create a copy of the whole struct, and you're back at
the issue of how whether the various fields should be owned or not,
which is something I can't answer.