[pulseaudio-discuss] Device reservation improvement suggestions

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Oct 19 01:41:31 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 09:37 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2015-10-04 17:05, Zeno Endemann wrote:
> > 2.
> > The spec implies that the reservation is for a whole device (ie. alsa
> > card), so I believe a well-behaving client should not touch a reserved
> > alsa card in any way. But PA only uses the reservation for PCM streams,
> > not for the mixer controls of the card. My suggestion is either fixing
> > PA (my preference) so that it reserves the card before writing any
> > changes to the mixer, or at least making it clear in the spec that the
> > reservation is only for all PCM devices on the corresponding card.
>
> I agree that PA should reserve the card before opening the mixer.
> Patches welcome :-) Although you might want to synchronize with Tanu who
> recently talked about closing the mixer when we lost access to it, that
> sounds like something that touches similar parts of the code at least.

If Zeno sends patches that conflict with my work, I can do the required
rebasing.

> (Side note: I would have liked to see the device reservation protocol on
> the system bus instead of the session one, but that's likely too late to
> change now)

I think it's probably possible to do the transition to the system bus,
if we just can find someone to write patches for both PulseAudio and
Jack. During a transition phase we would have to use both buses, to
cooperate with applications using only the session bus.