[pulseaudio-discuss] flat volumes for privileged apps

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 00:55:33 PDT 2015

On 20 October 2015 at 06:53, Arun Raghavan <arun at accosted.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 16:38 +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:
>
> I think this option is more or less the same as disabling flat volumes.
> The user is back to having at least two actions to control volume
> (either app slider and panel slider, or open panel and adjust app
> slider).

It is, it would disable flat volumes by default. But it would allow you to
enable them again for the streams you want.

> The point of flat volumes was that if you're using the application
> volume slider, you don't need to hunt for two volume sliders to adjust
> to get the full range of volume that your hardware allows. To my mind,
> your proposal makes sense as an alternative to what I suggested only if
> we move to a model where we suggests applications do _not_ have volume
> sliders at all, and then design the desktop UX differently to provide a
> single-action way to adjust volumes.
>

> As an example, the shell could track what the current playing stream is
> based on the foreground application and volume controls (hardware and
> panel mixer) could track that volume and apply changes as flat volumes.
> So the user is always only dealing with one control, by default. (I
> just thought of this, so probably needs to be fleshed out to make
> sense, or maybe it doesn't at all.)

This is an interesting idea. Because the slider is part of the shell, we
can trust it to be user-controlled and thus give is access to the
flat-volumes of
the stream. It's like the slider from the current app in the mixer appears
in the shell task bar.

In any case, this would work nicely with this proposal and since you would
remove the volume from the apps, making all app-controlled volumes relative
would be a good default.

Wim