[pulseaudio-discuss] Multimedia that *just works*, pretty please!

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 20 08:39:59 PDT 2015

On Sunday 20 September 2015 09:37:55 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Please reply only to one list if you reply – even though I think its
> high time that people work together for a grander, unified view on how
> to handle multimedia within Linux. As I am not subscribe to
> alsa-devel, please Cc me in case you reply to this list.
>
> And yes, this is a rant. But it based a huge lot of real life
> experiences with multimedia on Linux just not working right for me and
> various machines I use for myself or installed for others.
>
> While I appreciate that it may just work okay for quite some people, I
> also think no amount of denial will make the cases where it currently
> breaks like it breaks for me on various machines go away. Am I the
> only one? I don´t know, but I do not think so.

Hi yourself, Martin.  I'll snip the rant because everybody has suffered
thru reading it 3+ times now, but I am in violent agreement with your
opinion.

However I don't think it entirely  pulseaudio's fault, more likely some
idiot web page designers poor coding.  If a way to insulate us from
their poor coding could be found I believe that would fix 75% of the
problems. I have long since lost track of the number of times I have
lost sound in the middle of my nightly tour of the news sites etc, only
to have them fixed by finding an idle shell and doing an
alsactl --restore.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)