[pulseaudio-discuss] Treating remapped sinks as separate devices?

紅 蒼穹 chrno-sphered at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 24 11:21:52 PDT 2015

Hello,
So far, I've been using this setup [1], which worked fine, 5.1 sound being remixed to 2.0 as expected.
However, there are two problems with this:
- even though I select the Stereo sink as output in pavucontrol, the sound is also playing via my Surround sink as well
- the two sinks have their volumes linked, and decreasing the volume of the Surround sink doesn't affect the Surround sink's front left and front right channels - something I find unexpected
And now, with pulseaudio 7.0, the lfe-remixing cuts out bass for the Stereo sink (even though it's set up as 2.0, not 2.1).
I've disabled lfe-remixing and the bass is back, but what I ideally want to have is basically:
- two sinks visible, Stereo and Surround, physical device hidden
- for the Stereo sink, I want the LFE to be mixed into the stereo channels when downmixing, but left untouched for stereo content (just like it did with PA6.0). Same for rear and center channels.
- for the Surround sink, I want the LFE to use the subwoofer, as standard PA7.0 behavior.
- selecting one of the sinks should only play sound on that sink, not both of them
Is it possible to do that?
Regards,Soukyuu.
[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Examples#Splitting_7.1_into_5.1.2B2.0