[pulseaudio-discuss] Rethinking how we do reviews

David Henningsson diwic at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 6 14:25:44 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-06 10:25, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-04-05 at 19:28 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

>>> I think there are ways to short-circuit long discussions, such as
>>> setting aside some time for real-time discussion on IRC.
>>>
>>> And perhaps it does make sense to take on more autonomy for certain
>>> areas if that helps us work better. Note that my review proposal does
>>> overlap with your suggestion in that non-external-facing changes can
>>> be done more autonomously.
>> I'm not sure David's proposal overlaps with your proposal. David didn't
>> explicitly say whether these dictators themselves should still have
>> their own patches in their own area reviewed. I understood David's
>> proposal only as a tool to make it easier to decide things when there
>> are disagreements, so it wouldn't imply a right to skip reviews.
> You're right, and it's quite possible I interpreted David's suggestion
> differently from what he meant.

It's not a finished thought, but maybe the amount of review dictators
need for their own area is something like: simple patches can go
straight in, medium patches can have what we have today for simple
patches (i e wait a week, if there is no reviews then pushing can be
okay), and difficult world-changing patches should have a pair of extra
eyes.

And what patches are "simple", "medium" and "difficult" would be a
learning / gut feeling thing.

>> I quite like the general idea of having a dictator to resolve
>> disagreements, but it's not obvious how the code base could best be
>> divided. I don't myself have any particular desire to be the dictator
>> for any part of the code, but I don't have a problem with taking that
>> role either if it's given to me.
> I guess the idea isn't different from subsystem maintainers in Linux,
> but I'm not sure we're a large enough project to be able to divide up
> responsibilities quite like that. Maybe there's a way to do it in a way
> that makes sense, though.

>>> To me, the latter gives a stronger positive feedback loop than the
>>> former, because you're still waiting for a few days at least for each
>>> patch set.
>> Does it really demotivate you if your patches take a few days to get
>> reviewed? I can understand that it's frustrating if reviews take weeks
>> or even months, but I have trouble imagining a few days of review delay
>> being a problem.
> It does take away from the development flow, because it becomes hard to
> continue working on a thing until there's a review (because otherwise
> you're spending significant effort on rebasing). So instead of focusing
> on a problem and completing it to your satisfaction, there's a waiting
> period where you do other things, and when things are finally reviewed,
> you've lost some amount of context and motivation.

If reviews are done within a week, then rebasing is not much of a
problem. Combine this with being less picky about patches and you get a
workflow that hopefully means that the local branch you worked on can be
simply be merged to master. Hence you can get some of the "this is done"
feeling when coding is done already.

>> You didn't directly address my earlier point of reviews saving time. I
>> hesitate to accept your proposal because I believe that reviews save
>> time overall (our time and our users' time), since there are fewer bugs
>> to investigate and fix later. Do you believe differently?
> I thought I did, but to be explicit -- I have a different perspective
> on this. I think we're balancing code quality vs. developer motivation,
> and with the current resources that we have, the negative impact on
> developer motivation is higher than the positive impact on code
> quality.
>
>  From a broader perspective, therefore, I think our current process is
> harming our ability to sustain the project.
>
> I know you said you don't feel that much of a loss of motivation from
> the waiting period, but I think that being able to go from "I want to
> do this" to "this is done" much more quickly than now would actually
> have a positive impact.

OTOH; the demotivation by suddenly discovering that your code / use case
broke because someone (who was not considering your particular use case)
pushed a patch is diminished if there are reviews. Hence the one week
"notice period".
>>> Committers spending more time on their own stuff is something that can
>>> just as well happen now
>> It doesn't make sense to spend more time on your own stuff, though, if
>> you produce patches faster than they get reviewed.
> Sure, but this is also part of the problem. Even if you want to spend
> more time on your own stuff, you end up not doing so because you're
> waiting for your existing work to be completed.

And in the mean time, you can review some patches from other people? :-)

// David