[pulseaudio-discuss] alsa sink latency - how to account for startup delay

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 01:29:24 UTC 2016

2016-4-9 上午2:23於 "Georg Chini" <georg at chini.tk>寫道:

> [...]
>
> But that is not the case with USB. There is only some missing latency
> that is not reported - call it transport delay or whatever and I suspect a
> similar delay can be found in other alsa drivers. There is no need to
figure
> out the reason for it, it just takes some time after snd_pcm_start() was
> called until the first sample is played - without making samples vanish.
> And in that case the delay can be detected and used by the code.
>

>>> I choose the point where the first d hits the DAC and that is reported
>>> back by alsa. (see above) I've tried put it all together in a document.
>>> I hope I can finish the part that deals with the smoother code today.
>>> If so, I will send it to you privately because the part about
>>> module-loopback
>>> is still missing.
>>> Anyway, even if you think it is wrong I am still measuring the correct
>>> end-to-end latency with my code, so something I am doing must be
>>> right ...
>>
>> >From what I can tell, that's a coincidence.
>

> No, it definitely isn't. If you accept the precondition, that samples
> not simply vanish from the latency reports, it's physics.
> I would tend to agree that I have overlooked something, if the "extra
> delay" would be the same every time and if I could not write down
> the math for it.
> But it isn't completely constant (just in the same range) and I can
> write down the math and it matches my measurements. So I am
> fairly sure that I am right. Did you have a look at my document?

>>>   No, in fact it doesn't.

>>>   I only said the "extra latency" is constant, not the latency as such.
>>> See your own example above that your argument is wrong. Even
>>> if the audio is moved in chunks through your invisible buffer part,
>>> that part still has the same length all the time. When one "d" is
>>> moved forward another one will replace it.
>>
>> No, the invisible part is not constant, even though my presentation
>> didn't show the variance. The DAC consumes data from the invisible
>> buffer one sample at a time, and each time it does that, the extra
>> latency decreases by one sample. Data moves from the visible part of
>> the buffer to the invisible part in bigger chunks. I didn't specify the
>> chunk size, but if we assume 1 ms chunks, the extra latency grows by 1
>> ms every time a chunk is transferred from the visible part to the
>> invisible part.
>

> Then take any part of the buffer but the last or the first bit. All the
> chunks are always full, so it's constant. The moving bit is dealt with
> elsewhere, (in the smoother) but there is a lot of buffer that is always
> full.
> And when you take USB, the driver sees only chunks. The sample
> by sample consuming of the DAC is never seen by the driver, it gets
> the notification from USB that a chunk has been played.
> I'm not sure how it is with HDA, but probably similar.

(snd_pcm_uframes_t) -1)

>> Not very important, but I'll clarify one thing: I had another look, and
>> I'm not any more sure that the code where I saw the casting back to a
>> signed integer is actually used by pulseaudio. The function
>> is snd_pcm_write_areas(), but pulseaudio doesn't call that at least
>> directly, and I did some searching in alsa-lib too, and I didn't find a
>> call path that would cause snd_pcm_write_areas() to be used by
>> pulseaudio. Even if snd_pcm_write_areas() isn't used, though, it's
>> entirely possible that there's some other code that does a similar
>> cast. I don't know the code is that triggers the snd_pcm_start() call
>> when the ring buffer fill level exceeds the configured threshold. It
>> might be in the kernel.
>>
>>> OK, this it why I measure an "extra latency" of -60 to -20 usec.
>>> So again, if I can measure it and even detect a bug that way,
>>> don't you think there must be some truth in what I'm saying?
>>
>> Do I understand correctly that your "extra latency" is affected by
>> whether snd_pcm_start() is called implicitly in mmap_write() or
>> explicitly after mmap_write()? The time when mmap_write() is called
>> doesn't affect the latency in the long term.
>
> It does. It isn't much, but if playback starts earlier, the delay
> will be exactly that amount less even after 10 hours of playback.
> Let's assume you have 10ms of audio to write to the buffer.
> During the time, when you write, samples are coming in.
> Let's say it takes 100 usec to write the buffer. If you start
> playback after the write, this will be 100 usec additional delay.
> 5 samples have accumulated.
> If you start playback immediately after the first bit of data is
> written this might take much less time, say 20 usec.
> So your delay is four samples less and it will remain that way
> until the sink is stopped. There is nothing that would take away
> the delay.
>

>> The smoother will produce
>> wrong values if it's not started at the same time as snd_pcm_start() is
>> called, but I presume the smoother is able to fix such inaccuracies
>> over time, so it doesn't matter that much when the snd_pcm_start() is
>> called. So isn't it a bad thing if your "extra latency" permanently
>> includes something that doesn't have any real effect after some time?
>

> Yes, it is affected by it and it should be, because the "extra delay"
> is the time between snd_pcm_start() and the first sample being
> played. So if the first samples are played before snd_pcm_start()
> the "extra latency" will become negative. And as explained above,
> it has permanent effect. Somehow you seem to be of the opinion
> that all delays that are not controlled by the pulseaudio code
> vanish magically, but they don't.
>
> For the reported latency, it just means, that it will become slightly
> smaller. As I said, the smoother does not use the "extra delay"
> for anything, it is only calculated once when the origin for the
> smoother is set and added later as an offset, when get_latency()
> [...]

as your log had two "Starting Playback" message, can you call snd_pcm_dump
after snd_pcm_start to find value of  appl_ptr,

  do pulseaudio prebuf mean minimum first write ?

Do loopback module stop the running pcm stream ?

Seem pulseaudio does not use snd_pcm_drop nor snd_pcm_drain,  how can the
running pcm stream stop?