[pulseaudio-discuss] Config option to disable auto microphone boost?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Apr 23 10:33:11 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 08:26 +0300, Laszlo KERTESZ wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there a config option to disable the automatic microphone gain
> adjustments? I am referring to the case where the recording section in
> alsamixer has a microphone boost option that can be adjusted.
> When voip applications are used, particularly with echo-cancel, this slider
> is automatically adjusted, sometimes causing very loud background noise.
> This can be disabled manually if i edit the corresponding conf files in
> /usr/share/pulse/alsa-mixer/paths/ (Debian) and i set the volume option
> from merge to zero for the boost control then restart pulseaudio. But these
> changes are overwritten on every update.
>
> Is there a method of achieving this without editing those files, preferably
> an option in the pulseaudio's own configuration?

Disabling the boost mixer element can't be done in a nice way. If echo-
cancelling is where this causes the most problems, though, maybe
disabling the automatic gain control of module-echo-cancel can help.
There was a recent thread about how to do that:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.pulseaudio.general/25742