[pulseaudio-discuss] Input sound random detection.

Gustavo Duarte gus.duarte at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 16:29:25 UTC 2016

Tanu, you have just hit the nail on the head.

Awesome !!!

After sound mic is broken, running "paplay
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga" fix it.

As you told, skype changes the sample rate.

On other hand, if I running "paplay
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga" before skype, it avoid
the input sound break.

To be more clear I did following two tests.

A) To check your guest.

1) boot

2) open Skype, and clall "Echo sound / service", NO msg was recorder.

3) run "paplay /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga"

4) open Skype, and clall "Echo sound / service", msg was recorder, mic
start to WORKING.

B) In order to find a workaround to fix it.

1) boot

2) run "paplay /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga"

3) open Skype, and clall "Echo sound / service", msg was recorder, mic
WORKS.

I wonder if there is another way more elegant, to fix it ?

(Avoid Skype or other apps change the sample rate and break the sound).

Thanks in advance.

On 8/12/16 7:43 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>>> You did a similar test already in the beginning, and that didn't show
>>> anything else than that there were differences in volume, but nothing
>>> was muted, so I don't really expect anything interesting to show up,
>>> but since this is a bit more controlled test than in the beginning,
>>> it's worth a shot. Here are the steps:
>>>
>>> 1) Boot
>>> 2) Open gnome sound settings, verify that the sound meter shows
>>> activity.
>>> 3) Close gnome sound settings.
>>> 4) Run "amixer -c0 > before_skype.amixer".
>>> 5) Run "pactl list > before_skype.pactl".
>>> 6) Open Skype, call Echo / Sound Test Service.
>>> 7) Try record a msg.
>>> 8) No msg was hear.
>>> 9) Run "amixer -c0 > after_skype.amixer".
>>> 10) Run "pactl list > after_skype.pactl".
>>> 11) Open gnome sound settings, verify that the sound meter doesn't show