[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Switch to HDMI or not?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Feb 4 23:51:50 PST 2016

On 2016-02-04 13:54, David Henningsson wrote:

> On 2016-02-04 12:50, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

>> This same point can equally well be made for David's proposal, though.

Indeed. I was thinking my risk was lower because it only dealt with
HDMI. But maybe that was wrong...

Anyhow; your proposal involves trying to save the last "user selected"
port; how do you determine if a port is user selected or not? (If the
port the user wants to select is already set just by selecting profile,
then there is no point for the GUI application to call pa_sink_set_port.)

>>> Internal speakers toggle between "no" and "unknown" today; i e, when you
>>> unplug your headphones, internal speakers go to "unknown" rather than
>>> "yes". This somewhat indicates that speakers are now available, but you
>>> did not make an active choice to use them.
>>
>> Here's a plausible use case that will break in a very annoying way with
>> your proposal and doesn't break with my proposal: let's say that the
>> user prefers to use headphones when they are plugged in, and the
>> internal speakers when the headphones are not plugged in, and never the
>> HDMI output. Now whenever headphones are disconnected, the routing
>> logic that you propose will choose the HDMI output, because it has
>> higher priority than the internal speakers. With my proposal the system
>> remembers that the internal speakers are the preferred output port of
>> the sound card (which is actually a misrepresentation of the user's
>> intent, because the user prefers the headphones over the internal
>> speakers, but luckily that issue is masked by the speakers becoming
>> unavailable when the headphones are plugged in).
>
> Okay, that makes sense. Scratch my proposal.

On second thought; what if the module were to, in addition to setting
"unknown" instead of "yes", also would set its priority to 1?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic