[pulseaudio-discuss] ASoC and pulseaudio

Arun Raghavan arun at accosted.net
Thu Feb 18 05:54:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-02-17 at 16:27 +0100, Carlo Caione wrote:
> Hi,
> In our daily work we are seeing more and more laptops coming in with
> SoC audio (ASoC). In the most recent case, we are working with a new
> consumer laptop based on Intel Cherry Trail. As you probably know to
> have audio working on these laptops / codecs a fairly lengthy hw
> specific mixer configuration is needed.
> The problem we are facing is how to ship a single PA / ALSA package
> containing a working configuration for several of those laptops and we
> were wondering what is the most correct / upstream-friendly way to do
> that.
>
> I'm already excluding here some trivial workarounds like: shipping a
> different PA package for each hw or using an hw-tailored script to
> load the correct ALSA configuration.
>
> The first solution we came up with is just to write a profile-set
> configuration file loaded by udev for each cards / laptop with the
> correct mixer configuration already embedded in the path configuration
> files. This looks a bit like an overkill when you have to change tens
> of controls most of which just one time (once you have setup the codec
> selecting the main path is usually just matter of changing a few
> controls to change the output / input path).

With PA 8.0, you have the ability to ship distro overrides via .d
directories, etc. And we have the ability to have includes already, so
maybe this is one way to solve this problem.

> Another possibility is to use UCM and let PA create automatically from
> that profile and path configuration files. This looks promising but we
> were a bit worried about the UCM support in PA and how stable/adopted
> is UCM itself.
>
> So, what is the suggested way to accomplish this and in general how PA
> is trying to address this problem? I expect in the future to see many
> more ASoC coming into the laptops world, how will the community make
> it so that you install a distro and then sound "just works"?

If you are able to express what you need with UCM, it should be fine
for your use case. ChromeOS uses it, and our support is meant to just
work.

The idea thus far has been to collate UCM configuration that works with
mainline kernel in a single ALSA repository, so that'd be the right
place to put such config.

-- Arun