[pulseaudio-discuss] SB Omni surround 5.1 microphone with speaker PulseAudio 8.0 not working simultaneously

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Thu Feb 25 12:51:16 UTC 2016

(Sorry for the delay, this was stuck in the list moderation queue due
to large size, and it seems that I haven't remembered to check the
queue in a while.)

On Fri, 2016-02-19 at 12:35 +0100, Nazar Mokrynskyi wrote:
> I'm not very lucky with this USB sound card on Linux.
>
> After upgrade to PulseAudio 8.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 I can't use microphone
> and speakers from the this USB sound card simultaneously anymore
> (however, there is no such problem with another USB sound card which
> only supports stereo output, so problem is either specific to this sound
> card or similar sound cards with multiple modes like 2.0, 2.1, etc.).
>
> With PulseAudio < 8.0 microphone was not available in 2.1+ modes, but
> worked fine with stereo.

Probing the output:analog-stereo-output+input:analog-stereo-input
profile fails during startup. I don't know why it has stopped working.
Are you able to do capture and playback simultaneously with plain alsa
tools? Try running these two commands in parallel:

arecord -Dplughw:2 -f cd > /dev/null
aplay -Dplughw:2 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

If aplay fails while arecord is running but succeeds when arecord is
not running, this is not a PulseAudio issue.