[pulseaudio-discuss] EXT: Re: Cracks in the beginning of playback

Hannu Lounento hannu.lounento at ge.com
Thu Jun 2 08:50:20 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 03:34:29PM +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:

> On Fri, 27 May 2016, at 12:15 PM, Hannu Lounento wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem that sound played by a custom application using the ALSA
> > API is
> > cracked for the first ca. 10 seconds.
> >
> > I've reproduced the same problem with aplay: I'm playing a short (~19
> > seconds)
> > wav file and the first ~7 seconds of the playback is cracked / has gaps
> > but
> > after that audio is played back properly, i.e. there are no noticeable
> > cracks in
> > the playback.
>
> Have you tried setting tsched=0 in module arguments (to either
> module-udev-detect or module-alsa-card, whichever your system is using
> to load the card). This could just be that your card doesn't provide
> pointer reporting with sufficient granularity to do timer-based
> scheduling.

Thanks, disabling timer based scheduling did improve the situation a lot.

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with aplay anymore. There are still
some smaller issues with the audio quality during the first few seconds though
but my hypothesis is that these have a different root cause and are probably not
related to pulseaudio or ALSA.

--
-Hannu