[pulseaudio-discuss] Problems with splitting surround sound signal and sending over network

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Jun 6 15:59:11 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 11:20 +0200, Christian Glodt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to do the following with a 7.1 surround sound signal:
> - play the front-center channel on the left and right channels of a HDMI
> output
> - stream the 6 {front,side,rear}-{left,right} channels to another system
> - (I'm ignoring the lfe channel for now)
>
> The hardware setup is this:
> - A Micro-PC running Kodi connected to a TV (which will also act as
> center speaker).
> - A server system hooked up to audio outputs and amplifiers that drive 6
> ceiling-mounted speakers.
>
> I will call the Micro-PC "Client", and the Server "Server" in the
> following description.
>
> Please note that the server system plays audio fine on the speakers
> using MPD. I'm also not too concerned with the exact channel mappings at
> the moment.
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on both systems (Pulseaudio package version
> 1:8.0-0ubuntu3).
>
> I've tried several different approaches to achieve the streaming of the
> 6 channels from the client to the server system. None of them work so
> far, in fact I mostly get failed assertions.
>
> I'd be very glad if someone could point me in the right direction.

The tunnel crashes can be fixed by applying these two patches:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2015-January/022881.html
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2015-January/022882.html

The rtp crash is something else. If you know how to get backtraces with
gdb, a bug report in bugzilla with a backtrace would be helpful.