[pulseaudio-discuss] run pulseaudio with DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set

Marco Trapanese marcotrapanese at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 04:30:07 UTC 2016

Hello,
on Debian Jessie I'm running pulseaudio 8.0 in user mode (i.e.
pulseaudio -D).

In order to run other applications I need to set:

> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket

but now pulseaudio refuses to start:

> Failed to acquire org.PulseAudio1: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Connection ":1.27" is not allowed to own the service "org.PulseAudio1" due to security policies in the configuration file

Here the /usr/local/etc/dbus-1/system.d/pulseaudio-system.conf contents:

> <busconfig>
>
>   <!-- System-wide PulseAudio runs as 'pulse' user. This fragment is
>        not necessary for user PulseAudio instances. -->
>
>   <policy user="pulse">
>     <allow own="org.pulseaudio.Server"/>
>   </policy>
>
> </busconfig>

but as far as I understand this file is useless because I'm running
pulseaudio as "pi" user.

It returns to work if I unset the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable.
Please, would you help me to understand what's happening?

Thanks!