[pulseaudio-discuss] [Support] epic fail on espeak research (fwd)

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at panix.com
Wed Jun 29 15:07:34 UTC 2016

--

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 22:45:52
From: Mark Peveto via Support <support at sonargnulinux.com>
To: Sonar support <support at sonargnulinux.com>
Subject: [Support] epic fail on espeak research

Well, i had to try it.

I went ahead and installed espeakup-git, and espeak-ng-git, hoping to perhaps
solve our problem for us, but instead I ran into these.

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$ sudo espeakup

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$ Assertion 'p' failed at pulse/simple.c:273,
function pa_simple_write(). Aborting.

As you can see from above, I executed sudo espeakup, and got no errors.  But
when I switched over to a console and logged in, when espeakup should've
spoken, O got those errors.  Next, I went back to my terminal, and tried to at
least get espeak-ng-git itself to talk to me.  It did, and witn no errors.

sudo espeak

hi

hi

hi

Again, it echoed back hi, and returned no errors, or they'd have been printed
out.  Next, I switched over to my etc/pulse directory, and edited default.pa,
which my output shows.  What you don't get to see is my change to default.pa.
I went down the file, until I found load-module load-module-udev-detect, and
added tshed=0 to the end of the line.

load-module load-module-udev-detect tsched=0

Then saved the file.

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$ cd /etc/pulse

[southernprince at purrwurr1 pulse]$ sudo nano default.pa

[southernprince at purrwurr1 pulse]$ cd

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$ sudo pkill pulseaudio

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$ sudo espeakup

I killed pulseaudio so it'd restart with my new settings, then executed
espeakup again.  Switching to a console again, I got errors, but after changing
the line in default.pa, the errirs changed slightly.

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$ ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1029:(snd_pcm_dmix_open)
unable to open slave

error: Device or resource busy

espeakup: pcm.c:1122: snd_pcm_drain: Assertion `pcm' failed.

[southernprince at purrwurr1 ~]$

--
I'll get up in the mornin, and remove these, putting back regular espeak.  I'll
leave espeakup-git, since it was working fine.  Espeakup-ng-git breaks things,