[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] ASoC and pulseaudio

Vinod Koul vinod.koul at intel.com
Wed Mar 16 14:57:04 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:58:26AM +0000, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 10:56 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:48:51 +0100,
> > Liam Girdwood wrote:

> > > This is not to load FW for our use case, the FW name is hard coded in
> > > driver tables. We do have several FWs for the BYT driver that all have
> > > different capabilities. Userspace could set the correct config for each
> > > FW if it knew the FW that was being used.

> > > Ok, so we probably need to add in the board/machine name here (from DMI
> > > or DT). We currently have several x86 machines all using the same codec
> > > + DSP + FW, but all have slightly different clocking and routing that is
> > > causing problems as userspace cannot configure correctly.

> > > So IIUC this would mean ?
> > >
> > > 1) short name is optional, but could be board name.
> >
> > Right.
> >
> > > 2) long name is driver_name plus any other optional information for the
> > > user. Not used by applications or alsa-lib to determine sound card
> > > capabilities.
> >
> > In most cases, long name is short name + more optional information.
> >
> > > 3) Driver name is unique. machine driver name + (optional) board name +
> > > (optional) fw name. e.g. "byt-rt5640: Asus T100: IntSST1.bin" used by
> > > alsa-lib and userspace to determine sound card and set config.
> >
> > But, beware that driver name is fairly short, it's a 16 bytes string.
> > The short name is 32 bytes and long name is 80 bytes.  Thus, you need
> > a special care to provide a unique driver name.
>
> Ok, that is probably too short :(
>
> I've quickly rechecked the userspace API and we do have the
> functionality to read back the long name amongst other strings. It may
> be that we have to use the long name to specify further information.
>
> e.g. Pulseaudio could read the long name to determine the correct UCM
> file to load for Asus 100 (instead of loading the default BYT UCM which
> may or may not work on Asus T100).

Okay catching up on this thread now..

So I don't think FW name would help, if required we should add dev_info
to print the firmware which is getting loaded.

Now, since we have topology we should comprehend that as well. The
topology files essentially change the DSP graph and hence would required
different UCM settings so that should be added to name too. Same
hardware with different graph will need different settings..

And while thinking for it, I think it might be good to separate the SoC
and codec settings and in UCM setting for card specify the combination.
That may avoid duplicate codec setting all over the place for different
combination. I don't know if UCM supports that...

Thanks
--
~Vinod