[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio overwrites correct channel mapping provided by alsa

Dennis Heuer einz at verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de
Sat Mar 26 14:16:59 UTC 2016

Hello Tanu,

schouldn't we post to the list instead of private?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 13:44:10 +0200
Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:

> Where is this "front-left,front-left-of-center,front-center,front-
> right,front-right-of-center,rear-center" coming from? PulseAudio
> doesn't use such map by default, and if I understood correctly, you
> are not trying to use such map either. Where do you see this map
> occurring? Does "pactl list sinks" show that, or is that visible
> somewhere else?

"pactl stat" shows this. And this is also what I hear. The first email
has the files attached. "pactl list sinks" shows correct mapping. I
appended the file.

> > I did put this line in default.pa, which worked but without effect:
> >
> > load-module module-alsa-sink
> > sink_name=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-surround-51
> > device_id=1 channels=6
> > channel_map=front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe
>
> I don't know what "device_id=1" is supposed to do when given to
> module- alsa-sink. I tried to look it up in the code, but I gave up,
> because the code in question was too complicated. Usually when you
> load module- alsa-sink, you would use "device=surround51:1", if
> you're trying to use 5.1 on card 1.
>
> In any case, this is likely to conflict with the sinks that get
> automatically loaded, unless you have removed module-udev-detect from
> the configuration.

The desktop stalls. Static module-loading also stalls the desktop. Tbh,
PulseAudio is far too complicated to be mastered without knowing the
code in detail. This is a very bad situation...

> --
> Tanu

Dennis Heuer
einz at verschwendbare-verweise.seinswende.de