[pulseaudio-discuss] PA 8.0 -- what happened to soxr- resamplers

Luke Yelavich luke.yelavich at canonical.com
Wed May 11 04:47:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 02:36:57PM AEST, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2016, at 09:52 AM, Matt Feifarek wrote:
> > I updated my Ubuntu box to 16.04, where I was running PA7, and now with
> > PA8, I get:
> >
> > W: [pulseaudio] resampler.c: Support for resampler 'soxr-vhq' not
> > compiled
> > in, reverting to 'auto'.
>
> I'd look at the Ubuntu packaging about this. Upstream hasn't changed as
> such in this regard.

We would have to get libsoxr into Ubuntu's main repository, which requires
commitment from Canonical to keep the package up to date, keep an eye on
bugs, etc. Given that pulse has to be built against libsoxr and must be
available at runtime, and given we already use speex and are happy with the
default of speex-float-1, the extra effort of supporting another resampler
when its not our default is probably not worth it.

Luke