[pulseaudio-discuss] PA 8.0 -- what happened to soxr- resamplers

Andrey Semashev andrey.semashev at gmail.com
Wed May 11 08:18:11 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, 11 May 2016 11:11:19 MSK Matt Feifarek wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Luke Yelavich <luke.yelavich at canonical.com
> > wrote:
> >
> > We would have to get libsoxr into Ubuntu's main repository, which requires
> > commitment from Canonical to keep the package up to date, keep an eye on
> > bugs, etc. Given that pulse has to be built against libsoxr and must be
> > available at runtime, and given we already use speex and are happy with
> > the
> > default of speex-float-1, the extra effort of supporting another resampler
> > when its not our default is probably not worth it.
>
> Ok, makes sense. But for me, it IS in Ubuntu (though universe, not main?):

I think, Canonical only supports main.

> I'm interested in quality more than speed, so speex-float-1 (as worst in
> the list) doesn't seem what I'm looking for. Does speex-float-10 compare
> favorably to the soxr methods?

Soxr resamplers typically provide better quality than speex, and are always faster.

http://lastique.github.io/src_test/

FWIW, I created a bug to enable soxr resamplers in the official Ubuntu packages. Feel
free to add yourself as affected.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1574746