[pulseaudio-discuss] paprefs port setting

Nico pulseaudio-discuss at nicohood.de
Tue Nov 1 13:12:53 UTC 2016

On 10/31/2016 08:13 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 19:25 +0100, Nico wrote:

>>> The first question comes to mind is why do we randomize the port in the
>>> first place? Is it for security reasons or what? Given that the port is
>>> selected from a pool of only 256 ports, the reason is probably not
>>> really security-related. Maybe it's to make conflicts unlikely if two
>>> computers in a network load module-rtp-send?
>>>
>>> Ideally paprefs would let the user choose between a random port or a
>>> manually selected one. Would you be willing to implement this? If not,
>>> changing paprefs to just pick one port as you suggested would probably
>>> still be an improvement over the status quo. The UI should indicate
>>> what the port is, though.
>>>
>>> paprefs should also detect the situation where the gconf key is still
>>> set to the old value (i.e. no port in the module argument list) and
>>> change it to the new value automatically.
>>>
>> So I installed the legacy glade gtk2 tool and edited the source a bit.
>> It does not seem to be super complicated. However I am wondering how to
>> design the gui, as we should keep things simple and intuitive. I have
>> the following options:
>> * Add a checkbox to use a fixed port xyz
> I think radio buttons with two options would be nicer, because if the
> checkbox label says "use fixed port xyz", it's not clear what happens
> when the checkbox is unchecked. Using radio buttons would allow an
> explanatory label for both options.
>
>> * Add a checkbox + textentry for a fixed user selectable port
>> * Add a checkbox + dropdown menu for a fixed user selectable port of a list
>>
>> The first one is quite simple and suit everyones needs.
>> The second I am worrying about the text->number conversion and the
>> update of the module. As the user types you'd update the module over and
>> over which is bad. and the user could input invalid ports.
>> The last one seems to be the most promesing. A few options to possibly
>> also have different streams inside your LAN while still keeping the
>> options simple for the user. We could provide like 10 selectable ports
>> or so.
>>
>> Any opinions on that?
> My preference would be checkbox + textentry, or just a textentry with a
> label that says that 0 means a random port. I'm not very familiar with
> GUI programming, but I'd expect there to be some easy way to use a
> textentry in a way that doesn't trigger change for every keypress. For
> example, gedit preferences contain "display right margin at column:",
> and if I edit the number, the setting is applied only when I press
> enter or make the focus move somewhere else.
>
> That said, I'm not against any of the options you presented.

I found the best way to only have a combobox with 4 entries: "Auto",
"46400" "46444" "46454" (port numbers could be different though).
However I cannot get the text of the selected entry. I try to use this
function:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtkmm/stable/classGtk_1_1ComboBox.html#a2c245b78ec863901c461340348205bdd

Now it seems that this is only for 2.24 and paprefs uses 2.16 of gtk.
I've changed the version in the glade file, but that seems to take no
effect at all. I've searched through the configs, but I dont know how to
enable gtk2.24. I am using ArchLinux, so I have the latest gtk2 for sure.

I've also tried the combobox text but a) this seems to always show 2
columns witht he same text and b) also doesnt work with 2.16. Can anyone
help with this?