[pulseaudio-discuss] Play audio files of high sample rates without hassle

Erwan JACQ pulseaudio at freeacoustics.com
Sun Nov 27 21:27:50 UTC 2016

You can use the default-sample-rate/alternate-sample-rate config values
as minimal sample rates.

So if you input a 8kHz audio stream, you resample it to 48kHz or 44.1kHz
rather than let it to go 8Khz.

I attached my patches.
They just remove the limitation that the desired sample rate should be
either default-sample-rate or alternate-sample-rate when the sink is
opened.
This was just a quick hack as I don't know pulseaudio source code at
all.
Feel free to discuss or modify them :)

The resulting behavior is the following:

New audio stream 88200Hz -> sink & source at 88200Hz
Adding a stream at 441000Hz -> sink & source don't change their sample
rate (still 88200Hz so). The additionnal stream is thus resampled to
88200Hz

Shutdown sink, New audio stream at 441000Hz -> sink & source at 44100Hz

Shutdown sink, New audio stream at 8000Hz -> sink & source at 44100Hz
because there seems to be a lower limit (maybe 8Khz is not in the
supported rates of the sound card :D ).

I can add to the patch a software limitation so the desired sample rate
can't be below default-sample-rate value for example.

Best regards,