[pulseaudio-discuss] Service File for running in system mode

Felipe Sateler fsateler at debian.org
Wed Oct 5 17:27:41 UTC 2016

> Hey,
>
> thanks for your input!
>
> Am 04.10.2016 um 22:02 schrieb Felipe Sateler:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> ok, my working configuration on Arch with pulseaudio 9.0.
>>>
>>> The unit file:
>>>
>>> # /etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service
>>> [Unit]
>>> Description=PulseAudio system server
>>> After=dbus.socket
>>
>> This is redundant, as services by default have an implicit
>> After=sockets.target (via basic.target).
>>
>>> Wants=dbus.socket
>>
>> This is also questionable, as strictly speaking the dbus socket is not
>> needed by pulseaudio. If the system has dbus disabled, pulseaudio
>> should not pull it in.
>>

>>> [Service]
>>> Type=notify
>>> ExecStart=/usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no --system --realtime
>>> --disallow-module-loading --disallow-exit --log-target=journal
>>>
>>> [Install]
>>> WantedBy=sound.target
>
> Ok, I have removed Wants and After.
>
>> I think it may be a good idea to also enable the socket activation
>> (like the user units do).
>
> Ok, so you mean adding a .socket file to that. I will try this later...

Please also add a Requires=pulseaudio.socket to the service file so
that it is always started (see the current user unit in git master)

> Do you have any idea what could be the problem with having the default
> sink muted always? (see my other mail in this thread).

This is a shot in the dark, but you may be racing with alsa-restore or
alsa-state. Maybe you should add `After=alsa-state.service
alsa-restore.service`? (On second thought, this sounds like a good idea anyway)

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler