[pulseaudio-discuss] SUN Station with ULTRA SPARC III processor

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Mon Oct 24 06:54:45 UTC 2016

On 13 September, 2016 - MOUFFOK Amar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm proud and happy to be with you in this project...
> First, thank you very much for this professional job...congratulations for EVERYBODY, thank you !!!!
>
> Here's my issue:
>
> I have made some researches on the WEB about my subject (export sound from SUN Station to my PC).
> I have found things interesting and I have learned too ...but nothing that can really help me, so I'm trying to find help with you !!!
>
> So, in one side, I have my SUN Station like described above and running SOLARIS 8, to the order side I have my PC (Windows 7)
> What I want ?
> Simply export the sound from the SUN Station to my PC by using the network, the machines are on the same LAN !
>
> 1-I have downloaded pulseaudio-9.0.tar.xz from the WEB site (Freedesktop)
> 2-I have decompressed it in a REDHAT VM (because "tar xvfJ" don't run on my SUN Station, tar is not updated...)
> 3-I have "copy/paste" the folder pulseaudio-9.0 from my REDHAT VM to my SUN Station with Filezilla
>
> and now I have this in my SUN Station and I don't find the file called pulseaudio that you talk about in the first steps !
>
> I don't know how to configure my Pulseaudio for this type of export...

Here's your warning: This rabbit hole is deep and you can sink enormous
amounts of time into it.

That said, Solaris 8 is really really old, and I'd either try to upgrade
it to Solaris 10 or if you can, Solaris 11. Solaris 10 had wider
hardware support and a way more permissive license, due to being from
the pre-Oracle-days.

Back in 2010 i played with pulseaudio on Solaris, and managed to get
atleast the server and client libraries to work. I don't remember if i
ever tested the sound card support.

Here's the quite ugly patch:

http://www.acc.umu.se/~glance/pulseaudio-0.9.21-solaris10-i386.patch

With this patch i manged to get it to build and work with Solaris 10
shipped gcc 3.4.3 (csl-sol210-3_4-branch+sol_rpath).

As the patch name tells you, that was on Solaris 10 x86, so there might
be some more pitfalls for you if you're trying to do the same on sparc.

//Anton - Who stopped to care about Solaris a long time ago

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604